Thursday 28 October 2010

darkness and traveling

I had expected to post a photo or two from the Halloween party at Stockbridge school, but I can't find the SDHC card USB adapter at the moment. Taran was dressed as Optimus Prime, which is a good costume for him, with the drawback that you can't see his face-- a bit of an off-putting sort of thing at a party mostly in the dark. Kenna was dressed as a fairy, and a good one, but was devastated when she didn't win a costume prize.

"The problem is, Daddy," (sob) "that I didn't win a prize."
"That happens, Kenna."
"But I'm really, really sad."

Instead I'm just going to chat for a moment about time challenges. I have a paper resubmission due in a week and a half, and while I will be (and often am) the first to admit that the paper needed an extraordinary amount of work to be publishable, I now think it is publishable, and the only reason it wouldn't publish (aside from the always possible noise associated with editor preferences or politics or whatever) is simply because I won't get enough of it rewritten in time to get to my co-authors for review and then final proofing. In other words, though it has warts, like most management research, it's actually good enough research (data, theory, analysis) to publish, but may not do so simply because I don't have time.

Part of that is my own fault-- I've not been efficient in my time management leading up to the viva voce last week, and then, as predicted, I immediately fell ill and haven't recovered yet. Yes, it's over a week later, and I'm still, by most standards, simply sick. I can't work as effectively or as long, and walking to the Business School is exhausting. Lynn's taking a couple day holiday starting on Sunday, which is well-deserved, and the bottom line is that I'm out of time.

Well, enough whining-- after all, self-pity hour doesn't start until 2am (that's for you, Stu).

Time for sleep, and tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment