Tuesday 13 April 2010

Babysteps to Scotland

Well, only a couple days late on this one. Amazing how a week gets past me.

No shortage of things to do for the dissertation, ongoing research, relocation, etc. The driver's side door lock isn't working on our Honda-- without power locks that's actually quite an annoyance. The lawn needs work, there's no shortage of small house projects that should get done, we're going to Minneapolis for a couple days so I can attend an educators' conference and we can visit with Lynn's family, I need to apply for entry visas for Lynn and the kids (my application is in-- hope it comes back with my passport before my next trip to the UK), and so on and so on.

I can't say how much I am looking forward to being in Costa Rica in June, even if I have to spend time completing the dissertation while I'm there. I have begun doing short yoga practices in the morning, and although there's no way I'll be in very good shape when we get there, I already feel a bit more physically functional. The cumulative toll of the extended study process is surprising-- mostly self-inflicted, of course, but still impressive. The advent of allergy season here in Wisconsin hasn't helped either.

I'm coming to the conclusion that we're simply going to have to rent a storage facility before we leave. As much as we've done to pare down our belongings, and as much as we will continue to do so and divvy out boxes of stuff to friends and family, there just seems to be too much to me that we won't be able to sift and winnow away. The detritus of American living rests on nearly mindless accumulation and then reluctance to reduce. I'm suddenly struck that it might have a parallel with why Americans are overweight as well...

In the meantime, the days slip past and there's always something to be excited about and something to generate anxiety. This past weekend one of our sailing club connections (John Feith) introduced us to the members of Puppet State Theatre, an Edinburgh-based performance group on tour in the US who did a couple shows at the Overture Center in Madison. Their production of The Man Who Planted Trees (Jean Giono) was absolutely fantastic-- Lynn and I loved it and the kids thought it was hysterical. Actual quotes:

- "The show was really funny because of the dog." Kenna
- "I liked when the dog said, '280? 280?' That was really silly.'" Taran

We had the opportunity to hang out with Elspeth, the technical manager, on Friday night and then meet Richard and Rick on Saturday after the performance. Ta-da! Friends in Edinburgh without even having to go there first :) Edinburgh already feels friendlier and more accessible.

Now if we could just get the house sold...

No comments:

Post a Comment